Zero Waste Initiative
Flower Lane has evolved in so many ways over the last two years and recently we've made the move to be more eco conscious.
Let's take this back a couple of years to show you exactly how we ended up here.
When we started Flower Lane, crowns were wrapped in tissue paper, placed in a shipping box, and then secured with clear tape. That doesn't sound so bad but did you know wax coated tissue paper and clear tape are not recyclable? I sure didn't!
Moving on, you might think we planned on choosing a more sustainable option but, truthfully, we headed the wrong direction. We knew our crowns needed an extra layer of protection during mailing so we chose plastic sleeves and added confetti made from wax coated tissue paper. Stickers were also incorporated which again, doesn't sounds so bad but the adhesive on the back of stickers is not recyclable. Although we swapped the clear tape for water activated tape, the reinforcements are unfortunately not eco friendly.
Third time's a charm!
At the end of last year we made a major shift and began sourcing eco-friendly shipping and packaging options. We chose to ditch the plastic sleeves, wax coated tissue paper and confetti, not so earth friendly stickers, and tossed the reinforced tape. What led to this was not only our efforts in working on sustainability but also making sure that our heirloom quality crowns have a place to keep safe.
Here's what our packaging consists of:
- A keepsake box that holds your crown (forever!)
- Tissue paper that is made from FSC-certified recycled paper using soy-based inc, free of acid, sulphur, and lignin. Tissue paper can be disposed in a home or commercial compost although we think it looks great within the keepsake box.
- Stickers are made from 100% recycled paper and printed with water-based inks making it curbside recyclable. Just like the tissue paper, stickers are part of your keepsake box.
Let's talk about shipping materials:
- Tape is made from 100% recycled paper that's certified by the Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC) and printed with soy-based inks and non-toxic water-activated adhesive making the tape recyclable, biodegradable, and compostable! Really the best!
Shipping boxes are 100% curbside recyclable and although the shipping label contains contaminants, it is recyclable and removed during the process.
Upcoming shipping improvements:
- Shipping labels made with paper certified by the Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC) and finished with non-toxic adhesive making them 100% compostable and recyclable.
We are also looking at being more eco conscious by lessening linen waste. Right now Karolina is using crown scraps to fill dog pets that she is sewing herself. These are being donated to the local animal shelter. How cool is that?